The Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP) has been serving older workers for over 40 years. Through that program, AARP Foundation operates 70+ community based project sites in 22 states and Puerto Rico. The mission of this program is to provide subsidized training opportunities to low income individuals age 55+ and assist them with securing permanent, unsubsidized employment. AARP Foundation remains the most successful national sponsor in both service rates and exits for employment.
SCSEP is funded by a grant from the U.S. Department of Labor with support from AARP and the AARP Foundation. The program provides comprehensive training and support that helps individuals to:
- Obtain new job knowledge
- Enhance existing skills
- Gain a competitive edge in today's job market
- Find and maintain employment
To be eligible for SCSEP, applicants must be unemployed, 55 or over, meet income guidelines and be interested in bettering their current employment circumstances. Click here to see a list of locations nationwide
The Assessment System is a comprehensive web-based assessment system that helps identify the types of job you may be best suited for based on your work interests, personality characteristics and the work/life skills you already have.
Job hunting is never an easy process. It can be especially daunting if you have not been in the job market for a long time.
Two critical actions to take as you begin your job search are to 1) assess your own interests and skills and 2) see what jobs might be available in your community.
The system also provides:
- Skills validation tests based on your assessment results
- 17 free online Essential Skills courses. These courses can help to upgrade the skills needed to increase your qualifications for the identified job matches,
- Links to eight major job search engines that can locate suitable jobs in your area.
- For a fee, you may also choose to take more advanced online courses within the system when further skill enhancement and/or additional training as needed.
This system will help you zoom in on the most promising job openings. Do your research and you can match your job search to fields that demand your skills and the areas that match your interests. Log in here